Carthage Public Library offers access to many research databases and electronic resources, some of which are accessible to you from home. Users connecting outside the library may need to enter a valid Carthage Public Library card number to access these sites. Contact the Library during normal operating hours at 417-237-7040 for information on how to access these sites from home.
Jasper County Beacon (NEW!) is an interactive public access portal that allow users to view Jasper County and City information, public records and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) via an online portal. For access to this resource on our computers, please ask a reference librarian.
Duolingo is a popular language-learning website and offers all its language courses ad-free and free of charge. Languages include Latin American Spanish, French, German, Italian, Brazilian, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Irish, Turkish, Danish, Russian, Norwegian, Esperanto, Ukrainian, Polish, and Welsh.
Ancestry Library Edition is an invaluable site for genealogical research. This is a subscription database that can be accessed via the Library’s public-access computers.
Heritage Quest Online is a comprehensive database of American genealogical sources—rich in unique primary sources, local and family histories, and finding aids. It delivers an essential collection of genealogical and historical sources—with coverage dating back to the 1700s.
Learning Express Library is designed to help people succeed on the tests they must pass to gain citizenship, improve their testing skills or to further their education or career. Over 300 online academic and licensing practice tests including SAT, ACT, GRE, LSAT, Advanced Placement, civil service, military, real estate, law enforcement, citizenship, TOEFL, ESL and basic skills for elementary, middle and high school skills improvement and much more. Test preparation materials span ages from elementary through adult. This testing resource also provides instant scoring and customized feedback. Please note: to access from home, you must first sign up using our library computers. Once you create your account here, you can then access it anywhere you have an internet connection.
The EBSCO main search portal offers a variety of full text databases and popular databases from leading information providers. Full text articles, abstracts, eBooks, and learning resources for students of all ages. EBSCO also offers dedicated Apple and Android apps for searching with your mobile device; installation instructions are provided on EBSCOhost’s site.
Consumer Health Complete is a comprehensive resource for consumer-oriented health content. It is designed to support the information needs of patients, and to foster an overall understanding of health-related topics. CHC provides content covering all areas of health and wellness from mainstream medicine to the many perspectives of complementary, holistic and integrated medicine.
Science Reference Center is a comprehensive research database that provides easy access to a multitude of full-text science-oriented content. Science Reference Center contains full text for hundreds of science encyclopedias, reference books, periodicals and other sources. Topics covered include biology, chemistry, earth & space science, environmental science, health & medicine, history of science, life science, physics, science & society, science as inquiry, scientists, technology and wildlife. Science Reference Center also satisfies the demand for standards-based content by providing teachers and librarians with articles correlated to state and national curriculum standards.
A great new resource from EBSCO is the eBook Public Library Collection. With a collection of over 33,000 titles chosen specifically for public libraries, this general reference collection features fiction titles for both adults and juveniles, as well as best-selling and highly-recommended titles from industry leading publishers. A wide range of subjects and topics are covered to meet various patron research needs, including substantial offerings in Self-Help, Health & Fitness, Games, Crafts & Hobbies, Medical, Cooking and Religion. This collection also features titles on Recreation and Leisure, Geography, Commerce, Finance, The Family, Marriage, Women, Folklore, Social and Public Welfare, and Home Economics. All titles are available with unlimited user access, and titles are regularly added to the collection.
There’s a lot more available through ESBCO. The newest way to search EBSCO databases is the Explora interface, customized for various types of users:
- Explora for the General Public
- Explora for Educators
- Explora for High School students
- Explora for Middle School students
- Explora for Elementary students
Other resources you can find in EBSCO include:
- Academic Search Elite provides core resource of scholarly information for academic Institutions. Academic Search Elite contains full text for more than 2,100 journals and over 1,700 peer-reviewed, full-text journals.
- Book Collection: Nonfiction – Elementary Edition is a research database for school libraries that provides content representing a wide spectrum of works, including popular series from top book publishers. It contains searchable full text for more than 1,300 popular nonfiction books. The database includes high interest titles on animals, weather, holidays, adventure, sports, Native Americans, United States, Canada, biographies, nature, civics and more.
- Book Collection: Nonfiction – Middle School Edition is a research database for school libraries that provides content representing a wide spectrum of works, including popular series from top book publishers. It contains searchable full text for more than 3,100 popular nonfiction books. The database includes high interest titles on careers, health, life skills, ethnicity, disabilities, adventure, sports, technology, biographies, history, science, women, civics and more.
- Book Collection: Nonfiction – High School Edition is a research database for school libraries that provides content representing a wide spectrum of works, including popular series from top book publishers. It contains searchable full text for more than 2,450 popular nonfiction books. The database includes high interest titles on careers, health, life skills, ethnicity, disabilities, adventure, sports, technology, biographies, music, science, history, civics and more.
- Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia Search Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia
- MAS Ultra – School Edition This database is designed specifically for high school libraries and contains full text for nearly 500 popular high school magazines including America’s Civil War, American Heritage, American History, Archaeology, Astronomy, Bioscience, Careers & Colleges, Civil War Times, Congressional Digest, Discover, History Today, Nation, National Review, New Republic, New Scientist, Popular Science, Science News, Scientific American, Smithsonian, etc. All full-text articles are assigned a reading level indicator (Lexiles). Full text is also available for 85,670 biographies, over 107,000 primary source documents and more than 360 reference books (including the Columbia Encyclopedia, the CIA World Fact Book and World Almanac & Book of Facts); an Image Collection of over 592,000 photos, maps & flags, color PDFs; and expanded full-text backfiles (back to 1975) for key magazines.
- MasterFILE Premier Designed specifically for public libraries, MasterFILE™ Premier contains full text for nearly 1,700 periodicals covering general reference, business, health, education, general science, multicultural issues and much more. This database also contains full text more than 500 reference books, over 107,000 primary source documents and an Image Collection of over 510,000 photos, maps & flags.
- MEDLINE MEDLINE® provides authoritative medical citations on medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, pre-clinical sciences, and much more. Created by the National Library of Medicine, MEDLINE uses MeSH (Medical Subject Headings) indexing with tree, tree hierarchy, subheadings and explosion capabilities to search citations from over 4,800 current biomedical journals.
- Newspaper Source Newspaper Source™ provides cover-to-cover full text for more than 40 national (U.S.) and international newspapers, including Christian Science Monitor, USA Today, The Washington Post, The Washington Times, The Times (London), Toronto Star, etc. The database also contains selective full text for more than 370 regional (U.S.) newspapers. In addition, full-text television & radio news transcripts are provided from CBS News, CNN, CNN International, FOX News, NPR, etc.
- Primary Search Primary Search®, designed specifically for elementary school students contains full text for more than 80 popular elementary school magazines. All full-text articles are assigned a reading level indicator (Lexiles). Additionally, Primary Search includes the Encyclopedia of Animals™, and features Funk & Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia, providing students with easy-to-read encyclopedic entries written specifically for kids. The database also provides the American Heritage® Children’s Dictionary, 3rd Edition from Houghton Mifflin and thousands of relevant photos, maps and flags.
- Professional Development Collection Professional Development Collection™ includes full text for nearly 520 high-quality education journals.