Do you have overdue books from last March that you haven’t been able to return because of COVID and our building closures, or even longer-overdue items in good condition that you’re afraid to bring back because of fines and fees? Great news! We’re currently operating in “Amnesty Mode” for the rest of the month. Bring your overdue or lost-status books to our book drop by October 1st, 2020, and we’ll waive fines and fees on your returns as long as they’re in good circulating condition.
Missouri Evergreen has a free mobile app for the library’s online catalog. It allows you to search the online catalog, place holds, view account information, and renew items on your mobile device.
Click here to download:
The Carthage Public Library
July 30, 2020
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: A message from the Director
Due to the tremendous amount of water damage the Library endured on July 12, the Library is not safe to open fully to the public at this time. This event has deeply saddened us, and we are working very diligently with our contractor and the insurance company to try to get the building put back in an organized and safe manner as soon as we can. The heaviest damage was in our beautiful original Carnegie Library on the second floor which includes Reference, Genealogy, periodicals, and audio visuals, and in the basement which houses our community room, IT office and storage. Due to the age of the original building and its unique architecture, extremely careful measures for drying and repairing it are in place.
Thankfully, the Library was already in curb-side service mode due to precautions against the community spread of COVID-19. I couldn’t be more proud of my staff, as they have pitched in and worked extremely hard to make safe, clean workspaces where they can actually provide some limited services curbside. They are answering the phones from 9-5 daily and 9-1 on Saturdays. Please call the Library for requests for materials or log on to your Carthage Public Library account to place requests online yourself. We are also able to offer you help with copies, faxes and emails just by calling the Library as well. We are not charging fines at this time, and we will let you know with plenty of time when those will begin again. Free WiFi is still available in our parking lot. We have had a wonderful Summer Reading Program despite the COVID-19 situation. Stay tuned for Ms. Sherri’s invitation to come and pick up your rewards!
We have such wonderful friends of the library. We thank all of you who have called, emailed, stopped by to see if you could help, or to see if we needed anything. Carthage is full of such generous, caring people who love their library and want to see her ready to roll again! We promise, as soon as we can, we will have both the original library and the new Steadley Legacy Center open to the public.
Stay safe and check us out online or give us a call.
Our book drop will be open again and we are resuming curbside service tomorrow, July 21! Hours will be 10am to 5pm on weekdays, 10am to 1pm on Saturdays. Give us a call at 417-237-7040 starting tomorrow morning or place holds anytime online at https://carthage.missourievergreen.org
The Carthage Public Library building is closed until further notice. Along with the recent rise of COVID cases in the community, we had a major sprinkler leak in the middle of the night that unfortunately damaged the building as well as some of our materials. Despite the pandemic and building damage, we have adjusted our workflow and we are resuming curbside service effective Tuesday, July 21. Our bookdrop also will be reopening that day for your returns. If you have any questions, please give us a call at 417-237-7040 during operating hours. Thank you for your patience.
Our Summer Reading Program is open and ready for your signup! It’s going to look a little different this year, but we are still planning a fantastic summer with reading challenges, programs and activities! This year we will be using an online service, Beanstack, for our Summer Reading Program signups, events, reading logs, and prize drawings. Signups and programming officially begins Monday, June 8.
Register for the reading program and complete steps online at https://carthagelibrary.beanstack.org
Apps are also available for several popular platforms:
- Beanstack App for Android devices at Google Play
- Beanstack App for Apple devices at the Apple Appstore
- Beanstack App for Alexa devices at Amazon
From our Director: Thank you Race Brothers for partnering with us so we could purchase this wonderful new mower! The last one lasted 7 years so let’s hope we get that much good out of this one! Have fun, Jerry!
Due to building damage and the rise of COVID cases in the area, the library building itself will remain closed to patrons at this time, so service will be drive through only for now. Here’s how our curbside/drive through service will work:
- We will be filling holds for our own patrons, both on local items owned by Carthage Public Library and items received via courier from our consortium partners.
- Holds and checkouts are temporarily limited to 10 items per account.
- You may place holds either by calling the library directly, or via self-service online at your convenience. No matter how you place your holds, you will still need to make a phone call to arrange a pick-up time. We ask that you wait 24 hours after placing your holds before calling to arrange your pick-up time.
- To arrange your pick-up time, give us a call and speak to one of our staff members. Our phones will be online Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm, and Saturdays from 9 am to 1 pm. Curbside pickup time slots are between 10am and 5pm Monday through Friday, 10am to 1pm on Saturdays. We ask that you have your card number handy when you call us, but we can still assist you if you’ve misplaced it.
- To pick up your items at your prearranged time, just pull through the book drop area. Look for the table just outside the staff entrance. Your items will be in a sealed bag, already checked out and ready to go, with the due date slip inside. Simply pick up the bag with your name on it – there’s no need to show proof of identity when picking your items up. Surveillance cameras are situated in the pick-up area for for security. If you don’t pick your items up at the scheduled time, we will bring them back into the library and you can call again to reschedule another pickup time.
- After that, just pull forward through the book drop to return any materials, and you’re done! When dropping books off, for safety reasons, all materials will be quarantined inside the library for at least 72 hours before being returned to the collection. So if you drop something off and don’t see it removed from your account the same day, don’t worry! It will be checked in a few days later and you won’t incur any fines due to the delay.
We look forward to serving you soon!
A lot of you are familiar with our Missouri Libraries to Go ebooks through the Libby and Overdrive apps. But do you need more ebooks for kids at home? As a patron of Carthage Public Library, you have access to TumbleBook Library Deluxe, a wonderful resource with a huge amount of interactive children’s books. It can be accessed off-site using the link below.
It’s accessible outside the web browser, too. You can download the TumbleBooks App for Android or App for Apple Devices like iPhone and iPad and enjoy the library’s TumbleBooks offerings on your phone or tablet. If asked, choose Carthage Public Library in Carthage, Missouri as your library, and enter your library card number which should start with a capital P followed by five numbers (it will look something like P12345). You must have a library card to access this resource from home.
But that’s not all! Tumbleweed Press has generously decided to ALSO grant to our library access to the products listed below. Access to these products is available until August 31, 2020. Please use the special links below to access the sites; the username and password are embedded in the link itself.
TumbleMath Grades K-6 math ebook database
TeenBookCloud Grades 7-12 ebook database
AudioBookCloud All ages audio book database
RomanceBookCloud A huge collection of steamy Romance novels for the older crowd 🙂
If you run into any issues, our patrons may also log in with this specified username
and the password
We hope you enjoy the new resources! Stay safe out there.
These resources are funded through the Institute of Museum and Library Services under the provisions of the Library Services and Technology Act as administered by the Missouri State Library.